the pinnacle of performance, efficiency and durability
The Gen3 is the first Formula Car aligned with Life Cycle Thinking with a clear path to a second and end of life for all tires, broken parts and battery cells. Besides:
- The Gen3 will be net zero carbon, maintaining Championship status as the first sport to be certified net zero carbon since its inception.
- All broken carbon fiber parts will be recycled by an innovative process in the aviation and aerospace industry into new reusable fibers for other applications.
- A pioneering process will provide 26% sustainable materials in the composition of the tires.
- The Gen3 is powered by electric motors which are significantly more efficient than ICEs as they can convert over 90% of electrical energy into mechanical energy (motion) compared to approx. 40% in high efficiency ICEs.
- All suppliers are required to adhere to strict sustainability KPIs, including achieving FIA 3 * environmental accreditation certification by Season 9.
Jean Todt, President of the FIA, said: “The new Gen3 Formula E single-seater is a car created at the intersection of high performance, efficiency and durability. The work accomplished by the FIA teams with Formula E since the launch of the discipline eight seasons ago tirelessly seeks to stimulate innovation and promote the development of sustainable mobility. I have no doubt that this new single-seater will take Formula E to the next level. “
Formula E CEO Jamie Reigle said: “In designing the Gen3 car, we wanted to demonstrate that high performance, efficiency and durability can coexist without compromise. Together with the FIA, we have built the most efficient and durable high performance racing car in the world.
“The Gen3 is our fastest, lightest, most powerful and efficient race car to date. It’s a creature designed for its habitat: running through city streets in wheel-to-wheel battles. We look forward to seeing him inspire and thrill the next generation of motorsport fans in cities around the world starting in Season 9 of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship. “